Aurasma is an augmented reality platform accessible via the web, mobile app, or as a software developer’s kit (SDK).
Users upload “trigger” images and add overlays like images, video, 3D animations and sounds to them either through the web application or on their devices. Making your Auras public allows your followers to scan your trigger images in the real world in order to view your Auras.
- Public Auras (users must follow you to view)
- Private Auras
- Social media sharing
Paid Features: (all free features as well as…)
- Anyone with the app can view your auras without following you
As virtual and augmented reality software and applications like Pokémon GO become more advanced and accessible to the average user, educators must ask themselves where they might benefit the educational community. The value in Aurasma is that it brings static content to life, turning an observational learning environment into a more interactive one. There are already a number of ways teachers have incorporated this platform in their classrooms to boost student engagement and interactivity.
- Download the Aurasma app form the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store depending on your device
- Sign up with your email, create a username and password
- Create your first Aura:
- Take a picture of an object to act as a trigger. Aurasma works best with flatter triggers like pictures, posters, or patterns. The more detail in the image the better.
- Upload the image either from your device or through the web application.
- Add overlay content. When the trigger image is scanned the overlay content will be displayed. If you are creating the Aura on your device you are limited to the default overlays that come with the application. Creating Auras through the web application allows you to upload 3D animations, sounds, images, videos, and add actions to each to make them even more interactive.