My Maps is an online platform by Google that allows you to personalize your Google map and also add multimedia information to different locations.
For teachers like you, My Maps can be used to create an informative guide for students allowing them to explore and discover different areas and information similar to a field trip. You can tie in your own images to a lesson and create an interactive experience.
For example, you can upload an image you took and take your students on a tour of what you created. Students can click on different locations you have selected to get more information, which you have prepared including text, videos, and websites. My Maps can thus enhance their learning efficiency by engaging them in the select locations and the stories behind them.
- Sign into your Google Account.
- Click on “My Maps” (Depending on your browser, you may need to select the ‘gear’ icon after logging in before you can see ‘My Maps’).
- Create a Map.
- Title the Map.
- Select your privacy option for the map: ‘Public’ or ‘Unlisted’
- Public (shared with everyone online)
- Unlisted (shared only with people to whom you provide the URL/Map address)
- Share the URL of your map.
- Click on ‘Link’ in the upper right-hand corner of the map. You can copy the link and share it with others. You may even copy the ‘embed code’ and paste it into your website.
- NB: Individuals with the URL can view the map but cannot edit the map (i.e. add markers) unless they are logged into their Google Accounts.
Adding a marker
- Login to My Map.
- Find your location.
- Zoom in to your location (using the +/- or by double clicking on the map) or find your location using the ‘Search bar
- Select the ‘Marker’ tool (from the toolbar below the search bar).
- Click on the location where you would like to place the marker.
- Type your title and description.
- Add an image.
- Change the icon to one of many custom icons in the app.
Teaching Tip: To help protect student privacy, create a class Google account that students can use to login so that they do not need to set up and use individual Google accounts.