Verbally is a convenient, Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), text-to-speech app that can be used to help your students with challenges in communication. Currently (August 2017) it is only available for iPad and iPhone. With Verbally, your students can either choose from the word clouds provided to create sentences or they can type in a sentence. After the sentence has been inputted, the app will read it out loud.
Free features include:
- Core Words Grid – contains 50 essential words to save you time when inputting your sentences
- Core Phrases Grid – offers common phrases to enable faster & easier conversation
- Text Prediction – the app learns the words you use and makes self-expression easier
- Choice of male or female voice.
- Steady Hands feature – if your students has limited motor abilities this feature makes it easier to type.
- 3 new voices to choose from (1 male, 1 female, and 1 child voice)
- Customize your own phrases and save them as your favorite
- Personalize your predictions
- Find what you want to say from past phrases spoken
- Connect through email and compose your email with Verbally
For more information, check out the Verbally website!
As a teacher, it is important that you can ensure that your students with different learning styles and disabilities such as selective mutism or autism spectrum disorder (ASD) have the opportunity to communicate with you and their classmates. With Verbally, they can easily communicate and engage in the classroom.
- Download the app on your iPad or iPhone from the iTunes store.
- Go to “Settings”, and set up important components such as the voice, keyboard, and predictions you would like to use.
- Test out the app by choosing words from the word collection or type in the sentence that you would like it to say.
- Click on “Speak”.